On Wednesday our phones were switched to a new system, which caused intermittent service. Thank you for your patience. The phones are now fully functional. Please contact us if you have any problems.
Highlights of the June 26 Board of Education meeting include that 10 teachers at Elementary North are pursuing National Board Certification. Board-certified teachers are recognized across the nation as having met the highest standards set by the teaching profession. Currently, only two District teachers are Board certified. In Illinois, 4.75 percent of teachers are Board certified.
Candidates undergo a rigorous, three-year, performance-based process that allows teachers to hone their practice, showcase their talent in the classroom and demonstrate their dedication to their students and their profession. The new candidates will receive support and resources through the District’s partnership with the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) and the National Board Resource Center at Illinois State University. Research shows that Board-certified teachers have a greater impact on student learning and achievement than non-certified teachers, with their students outperforming their peers in other classrooms.
Also at the meeting, staff recommended Lamp Incorporated as the construction manager for the kindergarten building expansion at the Sullivan Community Center. Staff sent requests for proposals to four firms, conducted interviews, checked references, and negotiated fees before making their recommendation.
Superintendent Nick Brown said that the District is moving forward to obtain public feedback about the spring referendum. The school will launch and publicize a community survey in the near future and schedule several “Bagels with the Board” meetings so community members can talk directly with board members.
Board of Education President Sonali Patil spoke about the Residency Event on August 2, 3 and 7 at Middle School North. She clarified that parents with children entering kindergarten do not need to attend the event, but if they have older children in the District, they do need to attend the event. She also reminded parents that enrollment numbers are changing every day, so the teacher assignments on PowerSchool may change at any time until the Residency Event.
Stay up to date on what is happening at your school by signing up for one of our newsletters.
May 1, 2017
Dear Parents and Guardians,
This afternoon the district Resource Officer received a report that a white male driving a red car approached a student and offered a ride. There was no enticement or encouragement when the student refused. Please have a conversation about safety with your children. Vernon Hills Police Department has been alerted to the situation.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at 847-990-4215 or via email
Sincerely, Nick Brown Superintendent
1 de Mayo 2017
Queridos Padres y Guardianes,
Esta tarde, el Oficial de Recursos del distrito recibió un reporte de que un hombre blanco conduciendo un coche rojo se acercó a un estudiante y ofreció un paseo. No hubo estímulo ni cuando el estudiante se negó. Por favor, tenga una conversación sobre la seguridad con sus hijos sobre personas extraños. El Departamento de Policía de Vernon Hills ha sido alertado de la situación.
Si tiene alguna pregunta o inquietud, por favor no dude en contactarme al 847-990-4215 o por correo electrónico a firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sinceramente, Nick Brown Superintendente
All Hawthorn District 73 schools will be open tomorrow Wednesday, January 29th. If you have any questions or concerns please contact your school office directly, please refer to our schools page for contact information.
The Hawthorn School Board meeting scheduled for tonight 1/27/14 is also cancelled due to the extreme temperatures forecast for this evening.
In order to comply with wireless regulations, Hawthorn’s emergency message system provider sent a brief “opt-in” text message to all identified parent cell phone numbers provided during registration. This brief text was sent at roughly 11 a.m. on Thursday, October 17, 2013. Please read on for more information.
If you are interested in receiving emergency messages from Hawthorn via text to the receiving cell phone, please follow the text message’s directions and reply “y” or “yes” to subscribe. If you are not interested in receiving messages in this way, simply ignore the text. Families may also request messages via voice message and email.
Directions for setting such preferences were included in your child’s midterm report envelope, which came home on October 1, 2013. Note that parents do not need to modify preferences in order to receive emergency notifications. Parents who do not modify preferences will continue to automatically receive “snow day” and other messages via voice message to the student home phone numbers provide during registration.
- Information about the emergency message system is available at http://www.hawthorn73.org/alerts.
- Information about setting preferences is available on the link How-to documents to get you started/Documentos para comenzar, which is found on the PowerSchool sign-in page, https://ps.hawthorn73.org/public.
- More information about the opt-in text message is available at http://www.SchoolMessenger.com/tm.
- Backapck Note: “Snow Day” Test Message – Oct. 27
- Parents Visit During American Education WeekNovember 16, 2018 - 10:24 am
- Highlights of the November 12 Board of Education MeetingNovember 15, 2018 - 10:55 am
- Dance Troupe Provides a Taste of MexicoNovember 14, 2018 - 1:13 pm
- Notice About Graffiti IncidentNovember 13, 2018 - 3:06 pm
- Student Safety Protection ResolutionNovember 13, 2018 - 10:47 am
- Music and Art Classes Available at David Adler Music and Arts CenterNovember 15, 2018 - 8:32 am
- Hawthorn District 73 Schools Earn Exemplary and Commendable ESSA Designations from the Illinois State Board of EducationNovember 1, 2018 - 9:32 am
- Meeting Scheduled for Potential Board CandidatesOctober 30, 2018 - 3:51 pm
- Hawthorn District 73 Schedules Referendum Information MeetingsOctober 18, 2018 - 10:30 am
- David Adler Music and Arts Center 11-15-2018 (November 15, 2018)
- El Grupo Folklorico Mexico – Spanish 11-30-2018 (November 14, 2018)
- El Grupo Folklórico Mexico English 11-30-2018 (November 14, 2018)
- Board of Education Meeting Nov. 12, 2018 (November 9, 2018)
- Annual Statement of Affairs 2018 (November 5, 2018)