A Regular Session of the Board of Education and Closed Committee of the Whole Meeting have been scheduled for Monday, January 22. The Regular Session will begin at 7:00 p.m. The Closed Committee of the Whole meeting will take place at the conclusion of the session. The meetings will take place at the District Office, 841 West End Court, Vernon Hills, IL. 60061.
A Special Session of the Board of Education has been scheduled for Thursday, October 26. The meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m. at the District Office, 841 West End Court in Vernon Hills.
A flurry of activity is happening at the District’s schools as parents, children, teachers and staff get ready for the first day of school on August 23. Parents and children are connecting with teachers and staff through information nights, kindergarten bashes, get acquainted times, orientations and other events.
Close to 200 residents who attended a special Hawthorn Board of Education meeting this week were presented with two options to help address enrollment capacity issues in District 73’s schools and provide upgraded facilities for the future of education at Hawthorn.
Both options call for constructing a kindergarten center onto the Sullivan Center, bringing the early childhood program back to the Hawthorn campus, purchasing 11 acres of land across from Elementary School South, and building facilities so students can explore the world of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).
The Hawthorn Core Team, which spent thousands of hours researching solutions to space constraints, recommends an option that would include the construction of a new elementary school, adding additions to all the schools for STEM, building a wing onto the Sullivan Center for kindergarten, and building additions to schools where additional space is needed for PE classes, music and art programs.
According to Consulting Demographer John D. Kasarda, Ph.D., Hawthorn shows an increased enrollment by as much as 500 students in the next five years. Hawthorn has been experiencing space capacity challenges in its school buildings for several years resulting in specials programs being taught in mobile classrooms, on a movable cart, and in the cafeteria and hallways.
At 7 p.m. Monday, December 12, District Office, 841 West End Ct, Vernon Hills, the Board is expected to discuss the options further and anticipates making a decision on one of the options.
Sorry, no posts matched your criteria
- Regular and Closed Sessions Scheduled for Feb. 25February 21, 2019 - 2:57 pm
- Cultural Night is Coming: March 8February 20, 2019 - 12:12 pm
- SOAR Assembly Focuses on Kindness WeekFebruary 15, 2019 - 4:14 pm
- Highlights of the Feb. 11 Board of Education MeetingFebruary 14, 2019 - 11:41 am
- Valentine’s Day Hearts Aren’t Just for EatingFebruary 12, 2019 - 11:06 am
- Closed Session of the Board of Education 2-25-2019 (February 21, 2019)
- Regular Session of the Board of Education 2-25-2019 (February 21, 2019)
- Townline Kindergarten Parent Night Presentation (February 21, 2019)
- Cultural Night Flyer 2019 Spanish (February 20, 2019)
- Cultural Night Flyer 2019 English (February 20, 2019)