Save the date for Thursday, June 10! Key to 73 Foundation has organized a Golf Charity Tournament at White Deer Run in Vernon Hills. Do you know of a company or business that would like to be a sponsor? Ticket and sponsorship opportunities can be purchased at http://ow.ly/RBSx50EnADF. Your support will fund innovative programs that enrich the existing educational experiences at Hawthorn School District 73. If you have any questions, please email: email@example.com.
Below are links to resources from local, state and national agencies. We will update this page regularly as new information becomes available.
- Local Community COVID-19 Testing Sites
- Operational Strategy for K-12 Schools from the CDC
- Illinois State Board of Education FAQ on Starting the 2020-2021 School Year
- Transition Planning Phase 4 from the Illinois State Board of Education
- Updates from the Illinois Department of Public Health
- Coronavirus Updates and Resources from the Illinois State Board of Education
- Updates from the CDC
- Hand Washing Tips from the Lake County Health Department
Social Emotional Support and Community Resources
- Our district social workers and psychologists are an important resource for both students and families and serve as a liaison to community agencies.
- Text-A-Tip provides anonymous support by licensed counselors 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. Simply text your message to 1-844-823-5323 and type “HELLO.”
- The Lake County Health Department’s Crisis Care Program offers a free, confidential hotline for anyone experiencing a mental crisis or substance use issue. Call (847) 377-8088.
- COVID-19 FAQ for Illinois Families: Where to Get Help
- Community Resources for families
- The Northern Illinois Food Bank and Mundelein Community Provide Free Meals to Kids
- The Northern Illinois Food Bank and Mundelein Community Provide Free Meals to Kids (Spanish)
- Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) Snap Benefits
- Need Help? Call 211
- Need Help? Call 211 Spanish
- Lake County Food Pantries
- My Pantry Express, an online source for groceries when in need
- Teaching Kids at Home During Coronavirus: Pro Tips from Homeschoolers
Below are links to updates and resources from District 73 and other sources. We will update this page regularly, as new information becomes available.
District 73 Updates
- In-Person Learning Update in English and Spanish 4-9-2021
- Pandemic-EBT (P-EBT) SNAP Benefits in English and Spanish
- Return to Learning Update in English and Spanish 3-3-2021
- Legal Opinion Regarding Social Distancing Requirements in English and Spanish 2-26-2021
- Return to Learning Update in English and Spanish 1-11-2021
- Special Meeting Notice in English and Spanish 1-6-2021
- Lake County Health Department AllVax Portal Is Now Open in English and Spanish
- Return to Learning Update in English and Spanish 12-14-2020
- Hybrid Registration Letter in English and Spanish 11-16-2020
- Hybrid Learning Paused in English and Spanish 10-20-2020
- Community Update in English and Spanish
- Return to Learning Update in English and Spanish 10-16-2020
- Return to Learning Update in English and Spanish 9-25-2020
- Meal Service Update in English and Spanish 9-11-2020
- Reminder About PALS Safe Center Registration Deadline in English and Spanish 8-17-2020
- Return to Learning Update 7-29-2020
- Return to Learning Update in Spanish 7-29-2020
- Special Business Meeting Has been Rescheduled to July 28 (English and Spanish) 7-22-2020
- Special Board Meetings Scheduled in English and Spanish, 7-14-2020
- Guidance for the 2020-2021 School Year, 6-24-2020
- Guidance for the 2020-2021 School Year Spanish, 6-24-2020
- End of School Year Letter, 6-4-2020
- End of School Year Letter, Spanish, 6-4-2020
- Pick-Up, Drop Off Events, 5-13-2020
- Pick-Up, Drop Off Events Spanish, 5-13-2020
- Update from Hawthorn School District 73, 5-8-2020
- Updates for Hawthorn School District 73, Spanish, 5-8-2020
- Hawthorn School Buildings Closed for the Rest of the School Year, 4-17-2020
- Hawthorn School Buildings Closed for the Rest of the School Year, Spanish 4-17-2020
- Eighth Grade Information Letter, 4-17-2020
- Update to Families, 4-10-2020
- Update to Families Spanish, 4-10-2020
- Meal Service Schedule Change, 4-7-2020
- Meal Service Schedule Change Spanish, 4-7-2020
- Teaching & Learning Update , 4-5-2020
- Teaching & Learning Update Spanish, 4-5-2020
- School Closure Extended, 3-31-2020
- School Closure Extended Spanish, 3-31-2020
- Teaching & Learning Update, 3-29-2020
- Teaching & Learning Update Spanish, 3-29-2020
- End of Spring Break Update, 3-28-2020
- End of Spring Break Update Spanish, 3-28-2020
- Coronavirus Update, 3-22-2020
- Coronavirus Update Spanish, 3-22-2020
- School Closure Update, March 20, 2020
- School Closure Update in Spanish, March 20, 2020
- Teaching and Learning Update from Hawthorn District 73, March 20, 2020
- Teaching and Learning Update in Spanish from Hawthorn District 73, March 20, 2020
- State of Illinois COVID-19 Website
- Implementing e-Learning Days, 3-16-2020
- Implementing e-Learning Days in Spanish, 3-16-2020
- School Closing and Meal Provision Update, 3-16-2020
- School Closing and Meal Provision Update Spanish, 3-16-2020
- School Closing Letter 3-13-2020
- School Closing Letter in Spanish 3-13-2020
- Coronavirus Letter to Parents 3-12-2020
- Coronavirus Letter to Parents in Spanish 3-12-2020
- Coronavirus FAQ for Hawthorn School District 73
- Coronavirus FAQ in Spanish
- Cancellation of After School Programs
- Cancellation of After School Programs in Spanish
- Coronavirus Letter to Parents 2-26-2020
To ensure that all students have access to the Internet at home, Hawthorn is launching EagleNet. This new program offers free internet service to eligible Hawthorn families. Eligible families are those with students who participate in the National School Lunch Program.
With funding from the Key to 73 Hawthorn Education Foundation, the District originally provided Verizon mobile hotspots to households last year when remote/hybrid learning became necessary due to COVID-19. But a preferable WiFi plan is now available through Comcast’s Internet Essentials service for households that qualify. As the program sponsor, Hawthorn will pay the $9.95 monthly fee directly to Comcast for each family to receive in-home WiFi. Families must apply and be approved for the service by Comcast.
Features of the Internet Essentials Program include:
- High-speed Internet service (25/3 Mbps)
- No term contract
- No credit check
- Free plug and go self-installation kit
- A dedicated phone number to call if you need help with set up of the self-installation kit
- Xfinity’s WiFi hotspots app for access to millions of secure WiFi hotspots nationwide
- You do not need cable or phone service to be eligible for Internet Essentials access
Hawthorn has contacted the families of the Hawthorn students who qualify for the program via email. Since the mobile hotspots will be disconnected on June 4, Hawthorn encourages all eligible families to apply as soon as possible. For enrollment instructions and the special promo code, please contact Sharon Meyer at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Board of Education meeting will take place on Thursday, April 8, at 7:00 p.m. The meeting will take place at the Vernon Hills Village Hall, 290 Evergreen Drive in Vernon Hills. Members of the public may attend on a first come first served basis in keeping with social distancing and building capacity guidelines. A closed session will take place immediately following the Open Session.
Have you recently changed your address? If so, please access the online Change of Address form by logging into the PowerSchool Parent Portal, clicking on the SchoolForms link and then selecting the Change of Address form next to your student’s name. Note that you must complete a form for each student whose address is changing.
Also, if you would like to receive text messages from District 73 (in addition to email and phone messages), please opt-in. The instructions are on the District’s website.
A Board of Education meeting will take place on Thursday, March 11, at 7:00 p.m. The meeting will take place at the Vernon Hills Village Hall, 290 Evergreen Drive in Vernon Hills. Members of the public may attend on a first come first served basis in keeping with social distancing and building capacity guidelines. A closed session will take place prior to the meeting at 6:00 p.m.
Lakeside is looking for bus drivers. If you are interested, please call: 847-263-7619.
We hope to see you this Thursday, March 4th at 7:00 PM for Purposeful Parenting Raising Emotionally Healthy Children: Understanding and Managing Anxiety & Behavior. Based on the positive feedback from our previous parent night, we are thrilled to announce that Jackie Rhew, LCPC, is returning to Hawthorn School District 73 on March 4th for another virtual parent presentation! Join Jackie as she delves deeper into understanding anxiety, emotional regulation, managing undesired behaviors, and how to help your child be emotionally healthy. This presentation is open to all parents/guardians of students in preK-8th grade.
Join Zoom Meeting https://hawthorn73-org.zoom.us/j/4146812132?pwd=S0xJVnBoMUIzVjlCUkZjdTZFTXVZdz09
Meeting ID: 414 681 2132
For Spanish: Dial-in number (US): (425) 436-6379
Access code: 1198757#