During Remote Planning Day on Thursday, teachers received training on the best use of technology to support students’ learning. They received safety training as well as instructional guidance for hybrid learning. They also engaged in team planning and set up their classrooms. It was a productive day.
Below are links to updates and resources from District 73 and other sources. We will update this page regularly, as new information becomes available.
District 73 Updates
- Return to Learning Update in English and Spanish 1-11-2021
- Special Meeting Notice in English and Spanish 1-6-2021
- Lake County Health Department AllVax Portal Is Now Open in English and Spanish
- Return to Learning Update in English and Spanish 12-14-2020
- Hybrid Registration Letter in English and Spanish 11-16-2020
- Hybrid Learning Paused in English and Spanish 10-20-2020
- Community Update in English and Spanish
- Return to Learning Update in English and Spanish 10-16-2020
- Return to Learning Update in English and Spanish 9-25-2020
- Meal Service Update in English and Spanish 9-11-2020
- Reminder About PALS Safe Center Registration Deadline in English and Spanish 8-17-2020
- Return to Learning Update 7-29-2020
- Return to Learning Update in Spanish 7-29-2020
- Special Business Meeting Has been Rescheduled to July 28 (English and Spanish) 7-22-2020
- Special Board Meetings Scheduled in English and Spanish, 7-14-2020
- Guidance for the 2020-2021 School Year, 6-24-2020
- Guidance for the 2020-2021 School Year Spanish, 6-24-2020
- End of School Year Letter, 6-4-2020
- End of School Year Letter, Spanish, 6-4-2020
- Pick-Up, Drop Off Events, 5-13-2020
- Pick-Up, Drop Off Events Spanish, 5-13-2020
- Update from Hawthorn School District 73, 5-8-2020
- Updates for Hawthorn School District 73, Spanish, 5-8-2020
- Hawthorn School Buildings Closed for the Rest of the School Year, 4-17-2020
- Hawthorn School Buildings Closed for the Rest of the School Year, Spanish 4-17-2020
- Eighth Grade Information Letter, 4-17-2020
- Update to Families, 4-10-2020
- Update to Families Spanish, 4-10-2020
- Meal Service Schedule Change, 4-7-2020
- Meal Service Schedule Change Spanish, 4-7-2020
- Teaching & Learning Update , 4-5-2020
- Teaching & Learning Update Spanish, 4-5-2020
- School Closure Extended, 3-31-2020
- School Closure Extended Spanish, 3-31-2020
- Teaching & Learning Update, 3-29-2020
- Teaching & Learning Update Spanish, 3-29-2020
- End of Spring Break Update, 3-28-2020
- End of Spring Break Update Spanish, 3-28-2020
- Coronavirus Update, 3-22-2020
- Coronavirus Update Spanish, 3-22-2020
- School Closure Update, March 20, 2020
- School Closure Update in Spanish, March 20, 2020
- Teaching and Learning Update from Hawthorn District 73, March 20, 2020
- Teaching and Learning Update in Spanish from Hawthorn District 73, March 20, 2020
- State of Illinois COVID-19 Website
- Implementing e-Learning Days, 3-16-2020
- Implementing e-Learning Days in Spanish, 3-16-2020
- School Closing and Meal Provision Update, 3-16-2020
- School Closing and Meal Provision Update Spanish, 3-16-2020
- School Closing Letter 3-13-2020
- School Closing Letter in Spanish 3-13-2020
- Coronavirus Letter to Parents 3-12-2020
- Coronavirus Letter to Parents in Spanish 3-12-2020
- Coronavirus FAQ for Hawthorn School District 73
- Coronavirus FAQ in Spanish
- Cancellation of After School Programs
- Cancellation of After School Programs in Spanish
- Coronavirus Letter to Parents 2-26-2020
- Illinois State Board of Education FAQ on Starting the 2020-2021 School Year
- A List of Multicultural and Social Justice Books for Children (published in Ed Week)
- 31 Children’s Books to Support Conversations on Race, Racism and Resistance (published in Ed Week)
- How to Talk to Kids About Racism, Protests and Injustice
- Talking to Kids About Race
- “Say Something” Read Aloud with Peter Reynolds
- COVID-19 FAQ for Illinois Families: Where to Get Help
- Community Resources for families
- Hawthorn will continue its meal service during the summer.
- The Northern Illinois Food Bank and Mundelein Community Provide Free Meals to Kids
- The Northern Illinois Food Bank and Mundelein Community Provide Free Meals to Kids (Spanish)
- Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) Snap Benefits
- Need Help? Call 211
- Need Help? Call 211 Spanish
- Lake County Food Pantries
- My Pantry Express, an online source for groceries when in need
- Teaching Kids at Home During Coronavirus: Pro Tips from Homeschoolers
- Local Day Camp for Kids
- The Illinois Department of Human Services has launched a support line called Call4Calm. If you would like to speak with a mental health professional, text the word “TALK” for English speakers and “HABLAR” for Spanish speakers to the number 552-020. You will soon be connected with a healthcare professional in our area. You may also text keywords like “unemployment,” “food,” or “shelter” to receive information and support. The Call4Calm service is free, and callers remain anonymous.
Updates/Information from Local, State and National Officials
Dr. Hannigan discussed the District’s decision to return students to in-person learning. Hawthorn continues to follow guidance from the Illinois State Board of Education and public health entities. The Northern Illinois Public Health Consortium (Lake County School Decision Dashboard) has migrated to a risk stratified model that provides for the implementation of solid mitigation strategies as indicators for making decisions regarding remote, hybrid, or in-person learning. The District has developed mitigation strategies and will continue to evaluate the public health data and best mitigation practices.
The Administration Team selected two dates in January as Remote Planning Days, and two dates in February to implement hybrid learning:
- January 21, 2021: Remote Planning Day (Early Release Day is cancelled)
- Students in grades K-8 general education and grades 3-8 self-contained special education are not in attendance.
- Students enrolled in early childhood, pre-kindergarten, and K-2 self-contained special education are in attendance.
- January 28, 2021: Remote Planning Day
- Students are not in attendance.
- Week of February 1, 2021: Hybrid Learning Begins for Select Grade Levels
- Students registered for hybrid learning and enrolled in early childhood, pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, grades 1-2, or grade 6 attend school in-person.
- All other students attend remotely.
- Week of February 8, 2021: Hybrid Learning Begins for Remaining Grade Levels
- All students registered for hybrid learning attend school in-person.
- All students registered for remote learning continue to attend remotely.
The District continues to prepare for multiple scenarios, including pivoting back to a remote learning model. Transportation information will be available via the PowerSchool portal. Pickup and delivery of student lunches will continue. Student lunches will continue to be free until June 30. Staff vaccinations are anticipated in late January or early February. Staff should register through the health department’s AllVax site.
The PALS program will continue to offer full-day and after school options. It will remain at the Townline building. For more information, please see the full presentation posted on our website at: www.hawthorn73.org/school-board/board-presentations.
Dr. Hannigan discussed the return to in-person Board of Education meetings. It is recommended that beginning February 4, meetings will be held at the Vernon Hills Village Hall located at 290 Evergreen Drive in Vernon Hills. Public participation will be limited due to the need for social distancing. Meetings will continue to be live streamed for public viewing.
Hawthorn welcomes Alicia Corrigan as the new Assistant Superintendent for Student Services. She replaces Renee Ullberg who is retiring at the end of the school year. Ms. Corrigan brings to Hawthorn extensive experience in the field of student services. She most recently served as the Director of Student Services at Community Consolidated School District 15 in Palatine. She received a master’s degree in administration and supervision from Loyola University and a bachelor’s degree in special education from Illinois State University.
A virtual Special Meeting of the Board of Education will take place on Thursday, January 21, at 6 p.m. Any member of the public who would like to make a public comment can submit their public comment via email to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on the date of the meeting. To view the live board meeting, visit the School Board webpage and click on “View the Live Board Meeting.”
The District is continuing to provide breakfasts and lunches. Children under the age of 18 are qualified to receive individually packaged meals at no charge.
Please Note: Due to the non-attendance day on Monday, Jan. 18, meal pick up and delivery will be provided on Tuesday and Wednesday of that week instead of Monday and Wednesday. Regular service will resume the week of Jan. 25.
Also Note: With the implementation of the hybrid learning model, effective Monday, February 1st lunches will no longer be delivered to bus stops by Lakeside Transportation. We welcome families to pick up lunches Mondays and Wednesdays at Middle School South between 8-10am. Please take into consideration if there is a day of No School on Monday, pick up will be Tuesday of that week followed by Wednesday.
For families of kindergarten, 2nd and 6th grade students or students that are new to Hawthorn: In order to participate in hybrid (in-person) learning, your child’s physical and immunization reports must be up to date and on file with the building nurse’s office. Students who are not up to date with their physicals or are missing immunizations will be excluded from school.
A virtual Board of Education Business Meeting will take place on Thursday, Jan. 14, at 7:00 p.m. Any member of the public who would like to make a public comment can submit their public comment via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. on the date of the meeting. To view the live board meeting, visit the School Board webpage and click on “View the Live Board Meeting.”
Hawthorn District 73 Social Workers are excited to offer Family Support Sessions! The Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2021 session will include follow-up information from our Parent Night with Jackie Rhew along with any other topics you wish to discuss and/or learn more about! These sessions are open to all families!
Meeting ID: 845 4541 4255
Meeting ID: 828 9409 3748
10:45 – 11:30 AM Family Support Session with Lauren Brownstein & John Langelund
Meeting ID: 823 0870 9647
Meeting ID: 831 3838 7019
Lincoln and Hawthorn School For Young Learners
7:00 – 7:45 PM Family Support Session with Marni Emerman and Rhonda Malina
Meeting ID: 883 2385 5601
The Hawthorn District 73 Social Work Department looks forward to connecting with you!
- Teachers Prepare for Hybrid Learning on Remote Planning DayJanuary 21, 2021 - 3:31 pm
- Updates and ResourcesJanuary 21, 2021 - 10:00 am
- Highlights of the January 8, 2021 Board of Education MeetingJanuary 21, 2021 - 9:21 am
- New Assistant Superintendent for Student Services Joins HawthornJanuary 20, 2021 - 10:27 am
- Special Board of Education Meeting January 21, 2021January 19, 2021 - 3:51 pm