Seven-Hour Instructional Day Frequently Asked Questions
Following the December 15, 2022 Hawthorn Board of Education meeting, parents were invited to submit questions they had regarding the move to a seven-hour instructional day beginning in the 2023-2024 school year. We received nearly 30 submissions, which largely fell into one of the broader questions below. Additionally, resources related to the change to a seven-hour instructional day are linked below.
7-Hour Instructional Day Memorandum
7-Hour Instructional Day Presentation
Proposed New Bell Schedule
Frequently Asked Questions
- When will the change in start/end times go into effect?
- Why is the district changing the start and end times for schools across the district?
- Why do students need more instructional time?
- Will the extended schedules incorporate a snack time?
- Is 10 minutes from dropoff to the start of classes sufficient time for middle school mornings?
- Did the district consider pushing the middle school start time later?
- Why was Wednesday chosen for the weekly early release?
- How will this affect Wednesday extracurricular activities?