To ensure that all students have access to the Internet at home, Hawthorn is launching EagleNet. This new program offers free internet service to eligible Hawthorn families. Eligible families are those with students who participate in the National School Lunch Program.
With funding from the Key to 73 Hawthorn Education Foundation, the District originally provided Verizon mobile hotspots to households last year when remote/hybrid learning became necessary due to COVID-19. But a preferable WiFi plan is now available through Comcast’s Internet Essentials service for households that qualify. As the program sponsor, Hawthorn will pay the $9.95 monthly fee directly to Comcast for each family to receive in-home WiFi. Families must apply and be approved for the service by Comcast.
Features of the Internet Essentials Program include:
- High-speed Internet service (25/3 Mbps)
- No term contract
- No credit check
- Free plug and go self-installation kit
- A dedicated phone number to call if you need help with set up of the self-installation kit
- Xfinity’s WiFi hotspots app for access to millions of secure WiFi hotspots nationwide
- You do not need cable or phone service to be eligible for Internet Essentials access
Hawthorn has contacted the families of the Hawthorn students who qualify for the program via email. Since the mobile hotspots will be disconnected on June 4, Hawthorn encourages all eligible families to apply as soon as possible. For enrollment instructions and the special promo code, please contact Sharon Meyer at: email@example.com.