Interim Superintendent Mark Friedman presented outgoing board member Jayson Tran with a plaque in recognition of his service to the community after serving for 11 years on the school board. Dr. Friedman said, “It is a noble thing to serve when you know the rewards are not tangible.” Mr. Tran thanked him. In a brief speech, he concluded, “My reward is seeing all the faces of the children that we impact.”
Dr. Friedman discussed the current student enrollment number, which is 4,453. He said this number reinforced the District’s resolution to pursue funds for an expansion effort due to the continuous growth in student population. Other announcements included:
- The groundbreaking for the new kindergarten building will be on May 6 at 11:30 a.m.
- An official recommendation for the name of the new kindergarten building will be presented at the next board meeting.
- Returning student registration is currently open and will close on May 10. The online registration process replaces the traditional residency event.
- The eighth-grade promotion ceremonies are on May 28.
Current board members Sonali Patil, Robin Cleek, Victoria Helander-Heiser, and George Fievet were sworn in for new terms. Joel Finfer was sworn in as a new board member. The board voted on a new slate of officers. The new officers are:
- President: Robin Cleek
- Vice President: Wes Polen
- Secretary: George Fievet
The board meeting schedule for the 2019-2020 school year was approved. It is different from schedules of previous years. For the most part, the meetings will take place once per month on Thursdays.
Board President Robin Cleek congratulated the Hawthorn Middle School North Science Olympiad team for coming in seventh out of 50 at the State Science Olympiad event. She also congratulated Middle School South for its production of “Oklahoma,” which received rave reviews, and the Middle School North Scholastic Bowl Team, which earned the regional championship title. Dr. Friedman congratulated Jamie Kahn, the Assistant Principal at Middle School South, who is leaving Hawthorn to join another school district.