Fourth-grade students have an opportunity this week to learn what instrument best suits them and to join Hawthorn’s band or orchestra. Each elementary school is hosting an instruments fair in which students get to try out a variety of instruments, such as the snare drum, xylophone, cello, violin, flute, clarinet, trumpet and saxophone under the guidance of professionals. In many cases, this is the first time the students have played these instruments. At Elementary North’s Instrument Fair today, it was great to see how excited the students were to try the instruments.
Community residents didn’t have far to go to hear great music, as Hawthorn’s Summer Music Camp students performed a concert at Middle School South on July 27. Band students performed pieces such as “Arabian Dances,” “The Avengers” and “Blue Ridge Reel.” Orchestra students performed “The King’s Fiddlers,” “Concerto for Strings” and other pieces. A special thanks to the Vernon Hills High School students who gave their time and energy to help make this concert such a great success.
The sixth, seventh and eighth grade band, orchestra and choir performed at Middle School North’s Music Assembly on December 19. Principal Robert Collins kicked off the event by reminding the audience about the dedication that goes into students reaching their personal best on their instruments. Among the pieces the orchestra performed was “Ludwig’s Tango.”
- Mark Your Calendars for Hawthorn’s Reverse ParadesMay 29, 2020 - 11:02 am
- Coronavirus Updates and ResourcesMay 29, 2020 - 9:20 am
- Aspen Drive Library is Hosting a Last Day of School Homework CafeMay 29, 2020 - 8:00 am
- Highlights of the May 21, 2020 Board of Education MeetingMay 28, 2020 - 10:55 am
- Eagles Are Everywhere during Spirit WeekMay 27, 2020 - 1:20 pm