A Regular Session of the Board of Education and Closed Committee of the Whole Meeting have been scheduled for Monday, January 22. The Regular Session will begin at 7:00 p.m. The Closed Committee of the Whole meeting will take place at the conclusion of the session. The meetings will take place at the District Office, 841 West End Court, Vernon Hills, IL. 60061.
A Special Session of the Board of Education has been scheduled for Thursday, October 26. The meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m. at the District Office, 841 West End Court in Vernon Hills.
A flurry of activity is happening at the District’s schools as parents, children, teachers and staff get ready for the first day of school on August 23. Parents and children are connecting with teachers and staff through information nights, kindergarten bashes, get acquainted times, orientations and other events.
Close to 200 residents who attended a special Hawthorn Board of Education meeting this week were presented with two options to help address enrollment capacity issues in District 73’s schools and provide upgraded facilities for the future of education at Hawthorn.
Both options call for constructing a kindergarten center onto the Sullivan Center, bringing the early childhood program back to the Hawthorn campus, purchasing 11 acres of land across from Elementary School South, and building facilities so students can explore the world of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).
The Hawthorn Core Team, which spent thousands of hours researching solutions to space constraints, recommends an option that would include the construction of a new elementary school, adding additions to all the schools for STEM, building a wing onto the Sullivan Center for kindergarten, and building additions to schools where additional space is needed for PE classes, music and art programs.
According to Consulting Demographer John D. Kasarda, Ph.D., Hawthorn shows an increased enrollment by as much as 500 students in the next five years. Hawthorn has been experiencing space capacity challenges in its school buildings for several years resulting in specials programs being taught in mobile classrooms, on a movable cart, and in the cafeteria and hallways.
At 7 p.m. Monday, December 12, District Office, 841 West End Ct, Vernon Hills, the Board is expected to discuss the options further and anticipates making a decision on one of the options.
Sorry, no posts matched your criteria
- Coronavirus Updates and ResourcesApril 6, 2020 - 3:05 pm
- Foundation Helps Provide Access to Home Learning Resources for All FamiliesApril 6, 2020 - 3:02 pm
- Highlights of the March 12 Board of Education MeetingApril 2, 2020 - 10:49 am
- Board of Education Meeting: April 2, 2020March 31, 2020 - 4:05 pm
- Closed Session by Remote Attendance: March 26, 2020March 24, 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Camp Works With Kids Who Struggle With Social AnxietyMarch 23, 2020 - 2:12 pm
- Family Skate, March 22March 13, 2020 - 9:44 am
- Students & Parents: Join Us for a Special Screening of Screenagers: Next ChapterMarch 3, 2020 - 9:01 am
- Digital Citizenship & Cyber Safety in a Connected WorldFebruary 27, 2020 - 9:27 am