Fourth-grade students have an opportunity this week to learn what instrument best suits them and to join Hawthorn’s band or orchestra. Each elementary school is hosting an instruments fair in which students get to try out a variety of instruments, such as the snare drum, xylophone, cello, violin, flute, clarinet, trumpet and saxophone under the guidance of professionals. In many cases, this is the first time the students have played these instruments. At Elementary North’s Instrument Fair today, it was great to see how excited the students were to try the instruments.
Community residents didn’t have far to go to hear great music, as Hawthorn’s Summer Music Camp students performed a concert at Middle School South on July 27. Band students performed pieces such as “Arabian Dances,” “The Avengers” and “Blue Ridge Reel.” Orchestra students performed “The King’s Fiddlers,” “Concerto for Strings” and other pieces. A special thanks to the Vernon Hills High School students who gave their time and energy to help make this concert such a great success.
Students in the Aspen and Elementary South orchestras know that practice makes perfect. You can see their dedication and concentration as they rehearse.
A beautiful evening of music was shared amongst Middle North and Middle South students as well as the Vernon Hills High School String Project. The audience was serenaded by Samantha May’s Chamber Orchestra, followed by Jennifer Greenwell’s Symphony Orchestra. After two pieces by the high school students, the evening was rounded out with a combined performance from MSS and MSN sixth grade Orchestra. Congratulations to all the students who played beautifully and to our orchestra directors.
The sixth, seventh and eighth grade band, orchestra and choir performed at Middle School North’s Music Assembly on December 19. Principal Robert Collins kicked off the event by reminding the audience about the dedication that goes into students reaching their personal best on their instruments. Among the pieces the orchestra performed was “Ludwig’s Tango.”
Sorry, no posts matched your criteria
- Coronavirus Updates and ResourcesApril 6, 2020 - 3:05 pm
- Foundation Helps Provide Access to Home Learning Resources for All FamiliesApril 6, 2020 - 3:02 pm
- Highlights of the March 12 Board of Education MeetingApril 2, 2020 - 10:49 am
- Board of Education Meeting: April 2, 2020March 31, 2020 - 4:05 pm
- Closed Session by Remote Attendance: March 26, 2020March 24, 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Camp Works With Kids Who Struggle With Social AnxietyMarch 23, 2020 - 2:12 pm
- Family Skate, March 22March 13, 2020 - 9:44 am
- Students & Parents: Join Us for a Special Screening of Screenagers: Next ChapterMarch 3, 2020 - 9:01 am
- Digital Citizenship & Cyber Safety in a Connected WorldFebruary 27, 2020 - 9:27 am