Community residents didn’t have far to go to hear great music, as Hawthorn’s Summer Music Camp students performed a concert at Middle School South on July 27. Band students performed pieces such as “Arabian Dances,” “The Avengers” and “Blue Ridge Reel.” Orchestra students performed “The King’s Fiddlers,” “Concerto for Strings” and other pieces. A special thanks to the Vernon Hills High School students who gave their time and energy to help make this concert such a great success.
Save the date for the Key to 73 Hawthorn Education Foundation’s first fundraising event.
La Kermés, a Latin American carnival, is coming to the School of Dual Language. Join us for a night of Hispanic culture that includes food, music and entertainment on Friday, May 11, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at 810 N. Aspen Drive in Vernon Hills. The cost is $2.00 per person.
A celebration of artwork created by K-8 students from Hawthorn District 73 will be on display throughout Aspen Drive Library. Drop in at the opening reception on Thursday, March 15, from 6 to 8 p.m. If you miss the opening, drop by any time prior to Saturday, April 7.
Elementary North kicked off its Great Kindness Challenge Week with a lively, all-school assembly. The Great Kindness Challenge is one week dedicated to creating a culture of kindness at Elementary North. The school is proud to participate in this proactive, positive bullying prevention initiative! All students received a checklist of kind deeds to complete this week to help show that kindness matters.
Did you know that children report a better sense of belonging and improved self-esteem by performing small acts of kindness for their peers and community? Additionally, experiencing and performing acts of kindness provide an increased sense of self worth, greater happiness and optimism as well as decreased feelings of helplessness.
If you enjoy music, here are some performances coming up:
- 1/17: Aspen/Elementary South Band Concerts in Aspen Gym at 7:00 p.m.
- 1/17: Elementary North/Townline/School of Dual Language fourth and fifth grade Orchestra Concert in the Townline Gym at 7:00 p.m.
- 1/18: Elementary North Band Concert at 7:00 p.m.
- 1/18 Aspen and Elementary South Orchestra Concerts in Aspen Gym at 7:00 p.m.
- 1/23: Vernon Hills High School/Middle School North/Middle School South Choral Fest at Vernon Hills High School at 7:30 p.m.
This year’s Snowflake event at Middle School South was a great success thanks to the help of 55 adult facilitators, 40 Vernon Hills and Libertyville high school students, 400 parents, and many volunteers. More than 370 seventh and eighth grade students from Middle School South, Middle School North and Oak Grove School attended this annual event, which encourages adolescents to make good choices and lead a healthy lifestyle.
The event was broken up into large group sessions, in which the students watched performances and presentations, and small group sessions, in which they engaged in activities led by high school students and adults. This year, Bizar Entertainment provided a musical production that conveyed positive and inspirational messages. During another large group session, motivational speaker Brad Hutig spoke about the challenges he faced when he lost both of his hands in a work-related accident. He had been a three-sport athlete and was eventually able to return to the football team. He told students that they could do things if they really wanted to do them, and encouraged them to find their way.
Toward the end of the evening, the parents attended a presentation from defense attorney Elliot Pinsel, while the students joined a dance. Mr. Pinsel reminded parents that they are accountable for underage drinking in their homes, he encouraged them to talk with their children and know what they are doing in order to prevent law suits and other negative consequences.
At about 10 p.m., students and parents were all smiles as they celebrated the close of another positive Snowflake experience.
- Bringing Holiday Cheer to the MallDecember 11, 2019 - 10:41 am
- Cops & Kids Event is a BlastDecember 10, 2019 - 8:55 am
- Parents and Teachers Connect at ConferencesNovember 26, 2019 - 9:13 am
- Library Announces 2019 “Design a Bookmark” Contest WinnersNovember 19, 2019 - 9:02 am
- Take the 5Essentials Parent SurveyNovember 18, 2019 - 9:21 am
- Carmel Catholic High School Admissions InformationDecember 10, 2019 - 2:02 pm
- Kirk Players Announce Open Auditions for The Jungle BookDecember 9, 2019 - 9:23 am
- Mundelein High School Invites You to a Bilingual Holiday CelebrationDecember 6, 2019 - 2:14 pm
- Good News Club Registration FormDecember 2, 2019 - 11:22 am